Beatrice Mary Scheibner, born on December 5, 1958 in Vailsburg, NJ, was the seventh and youngest child of Henry and Jennie Scheibner. Beatrice had four brothers: Richard, Edwin, Henry and James. She had two sisters: Gertrude and Janet. Sadly, Beatrice lost her father to a fatal heart attack when she was just 7 years old. She was educated in Catholic elementary and high schools. Beatrice then attended the Drake Business College in Newark where she received a diploma in Stenography. She was employed in the office of The Propagation of the Faith in the Archdiocese of Newark from 1947 to 1951. At age 22, Beatrice started to reflect on a vocation to religious life. After reading a copy of The Orphans Messenger and Advocate of the Blind, a publication by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, she applied to become a member of the community. On July 31, 1951, Beatrice Mary Scheibner started a postulancy training program with the Sisters in Englewood Cliff, NJ. Six months later, she received the religious habit and was given the name Sister Mary Christine. Her two year novitiate education continued, and on March 19, 1952, Sister Christine pronounced her First Vows.
After her First Profession, Sister Christine was assigned to teach at St. Mary's School in Salem, NJ. Two years later, she was transferred to the Printing Room in Jersey City, NJ. She used her excellent stenography and business skills in the Correspondence Dept. of the Messenger for two years. Then she served as Secretary to the Treasurer General of the Congregation (Sister Ethnea McDermott) for eight years. In 1966, Sister Christine was introduced to the Health Care ministry. She was assigned to serve in the Admissions Office of Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck, NJ. After 13 years in Holy Name Hospital, Sister Christine was given permission to pursue a Master's Degree in Social Work at Fordham University in New York, She used the skills she developed at Fordham, as well as those from a Master's program in Pastoral Counseling at lona College in New Rochelle, NY, to minister in counseling many children and adults in various social service agencies and parishes. Her dedicated service was recognized when, on September 19, 1993, she received the Distinguished Service Award of the Religious Education Center in Ascension Church, New Milford, NJ. In the year 2000, Sister Christine also received the Archdiocesan Parish Catechist Award.
Starting in 1988 Sister Christine experienced several health problems which persisted in some ways until her death in 2015. Knee replacement surgery in 1988 was accompanied with a nerve injury in her foot. Sister Christine suffered severe pain problems from time to time. She was treated also for dental and mouth infections. In 2005, Sister Christine was moved to the Infirmary at St. Michael's Villa. Sister Christine died on January 14, 2015. The Liturgy of Christian burial was offered on January 19, 2015 at St Michael Villa Chapel in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery, North Arlington, NJ. Sister Christine was predeceased by her brothers: Richard, Edwin, Henry and James, and her sisters: Gertrude and Janet. She was survived by her sister-in-law, Doris Scheibner and niece, Carol Pannenga.
"The important thing is that we remain open to God as he reveals himself to us in the circumstances of life and do everything possible to bring the body of his Son to completion."
Catherine O'Connor, CSJP