congregation of the sisters of st joseph of peace
facebook twitter twitter

Western United States

Only six years after the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, in 1890 two courageous young women, Sisters Stanislaus Tighe and Teresa Moran, boarded a train in New Jersey and travelled across the breadth of the country to the small frontier settlements that now are part of Bellingham, Washington. They arrived in August, 1890 and went to work to raise funds for the town's first hospital, begging in the mining and logging camps and seeking support from townspeople. In four months, they had enough money to begin, and in January, 1891 the first St. Joseph Hospital was opened. Within a year, as other Sisters joined them, they opened a school and began a novitiate in Bellingham.

Today, our CSJP presence on the West Coast is centered in the Pacific Northwest: Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Our regional center is located at St. Mary-on-the-Lake in Bellevue, WA on the shores of Lake Washington.

The Congregation sponsors and supports a number of ministries in the Pacific Northwest:

 

 

CSJP Western Region Office

PO Box 248
Bellevue, WA 98009
Telephone: 425.467.5400

Western Region Vocation Contact

Sister Jo-Anne Miller, CSJP
PO Box 248
Bellevue, WA 98009
USA
425-467-5402
jmiller@csjp-olp.org

Western United States

"So yes, we are forever beginning, and the best we can do is be very grateful that each new beginning is one more chance to grow. "

Margaret Byrne, CSJP