At our 21st General Chapter in 2008 we elected to become a Congregation without Provinces. As a result, we reconfigured in 2009 going from a provincial governance structure to a congregational one. Our sisters and associates are still located in the geographic regions where we have always served.
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace was founded January, 1884, in the Diocese of Nottingham, England. Today, our United Kingdom regional center is still located in the Diocese of Nottingham. Sisters and Associates are active in the areas of education, health care, assisting the poor and homeless, welcoming refugees, prayer ministry, and advocating for peace and justice.
Mother Clare (Margaret Anna Cusack) and Mother Evangelista (Honoria Gaffney) arrived in New Jersey in November 1884, shortly after the founding of the Congregation in Nottingham, England. Today, our CSJP presence on the East Coast is centered in the "Garden State" of New Jersey. Our regional center is located at St. Michael's Villa in Englewood Cliffs, NJ overlooking the Hudson River within view of the George Waington Bridge. The Congregation sponsors and supports a number of ministries in New Jersey.
Only six years after the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, in 1890 two courageous young women, Sisters Stanislaus Tighe and Teresa Moran, boarded a train in New Jersey and travelled across the breadth of the country to the small frontier settlements that now are part of Bellingham, Washington. They immediately went to work to raise funds for the town's first hospital, begging in the mining and logging camps and seeking support from townspeople. In four months, they had enough money to begin, and in January, 1891 the first St. Joseph Hospital was opened. Today, our CSJP presence on the West Coast is centered in the Pacific Northwest. Our regional center is located at St. Mary-on-the-Lake in Bellevue, WA on the shores of Lake Washington. The Congregation sponsors and supports a number of ministries in the Pacific Northwest.
Our mission presence in Haiti began in 2009 as a special project to mark the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. Currently, Sisters Ann Crawley and Maureen Boggins serve in Milot Haiti.
"The prophet does not compel, but asks people to see themselves, the world, and God in a new way."
Dorothy Vidulich, CSJP